1. Never forget the basics- Hardcopy of documents
Keep a print-out of documents such as your passport, itinerary, hotel reservations, air tickets, travel insurance, visa, forex receipts, credit cards, identity proofs, and online-banking passwords.
Undoubtedly, the technological revolution has resulted in many important breakthroughs- photos, cloud storage, sharing etc., but you should not forget the basics and carry a hard copy of all your documents.
On the other hand, Serial number of all expensive gadgets is essential to keep, so in case of theft, you can report the incident to local police authorities with all mandatory details. At times, customs may ask you to present original documents if you are carrying a sophisticated item in order to authenticate your ownership. This could be a rare instance but there is no harm keeping a picture of serial numbers and model make of all your expensive gears.
2. Medical history
If you are suffering from any medical condition, you should carry all prescriptions and diagnosis reports. Sometimes, questions related to your medical problems could be asked by immigration authorities. This is again a rare instance but holds great importance. Imagine if you are admitted to a hospital under emergency condition then your medical record would certainly help hospital authorities to investigate your health issue. Do not completely rely on the travel insurance, carrying medical documents is an essential part of the whole process to initiate medical proceedings.
- First aid kit
- Pain and fever relievers (also children’s strength if you are traveling with kids)
- Glucosemeter for diabetics
- Cold medicines and throat lozenges
- Diarrhea/laxative medicines
- Allergy medicines
- antibacterial ointment
- Insect repellent/mosquito net/sting reliever
- Altitude sickness pills (if you are planning to hike in higher altitudes)
- Hand sanitizer or wet wipes
- Lip balm
3. Travel insurance- It is imperative to carry travel insurance, which covers the following:
- Medical Expenses covering $ 100,000.00 $ 100.00
- Dental Treatment covering $ 250.00 $ 100.00
- Repatriation Of Mortal Remains covering $ 7,500.00
- Personal Accident covering $ 10,000.00
- Personal Accident- Common Carrier covering $ 5,000.00
- Total Loss Of Checked-in Baggage covering $ 500.00
- Delay Of Checked-in Baggage covering $ 200.00
- Loss Of Passport covering $ 200.00 $ 30.00
- Personal Liability covering $ 50,000.00
- Hijack Daily Allowance covering $ 50.00 12 Hrs
- Financial Emergency Cash covering $ 200.00
3. Travel adapter
Make sure you are keeping a travel adapter in your luggage or handbag. Buy a universal travel adapter with a good quality, designed to use in the US, UK, Eur, middle-east, and south-east is something not to be forgotten.
4. Ready to cook food
This is self-explanatory and saves you a lot of money when expenses are high in foreign countries. Sometimes, you may not find food palatable to your choice, so carrying ready-to-cook meals is a wise move.
5. Spare bedsheet and toiletries
It is quite evident that we should carry toiletries, extra bed sheet if we plan to stay in a hostel or even a hotel. Preferably, I do hotel booking for privacy, safety, and hygiene.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash
- Paper soap
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Face wash
- Nighttime lotion
6. Extra phone and charger
No matter, if you are obsessed with your iPhone, you should still consider carrying a extra phone. Even a redundant one will work to keep the communication going.
Yes, the most common and the uncommon thing which we usually tend to forget even if we are not traveling- PEN. Travel with style and basics.
8. Consulate contact number
Make a note of the local consulate numbers to report about an incident.
9. Rain jacket/umbrella
In case of unpredictable rainfall or torrential downpours, you should carry an umbrella/rain jacket to protect yourself.
10. Items closer to you
Headphones, books, extra batteries for your camera, sun-glasses, extra bag, refreshments to name a few.
11. Important mobile apps
Downloads some important mobile applications such as language Translator apps, Local transport apps, Google offline map etc.